Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it." ~ Oprah Winfrey
Running is one of the best types of cardio, but also one of the most difficult to love. It’s a relationship you learn to love with research and time. I was never a huge a huge runner, until recently, I was a swimmer for 13 years. But, as many athletes know cross training, with running, is essential for development. I learned over the years to truly enjoy the small things in running, like we all try to with life.
Here are some of my tips for loving running…
- Start slow and steady.Baby steps are the key for the beginner runner. Don’t run a 5k the first day, because you will hate running the next morning. Running for a few minutes, then walking for a few minutes is a great technique. Don’t be too ambitious and do what makes you feel comfortable.
- Master the correct form. Well maybe not master, but at least know the fundamentals of correct form. Do your homework and/or consult runner friends. I found a great YouTube video on, “How To Run” check it out here.
- Music is essential. This is the game changer, at least for me. A great playlist complied of upbeat and motivational tunes will have you fired up to run. Create your own or join our party – JoJo Vibes. We have now updated the playlist with a whole new mix of songs, enjoy!
- Download some cool apps. Apps are awesome! Technology can help keep you focused. One app I recently downloaded is, “Runtastic Running & Fitness” which is great for users of all fitness levels. Some key features are: map workouts in real-time, personal workout diary, and live tracking & cheering. I mean who wouldn’t love a personal cheerleader? I would!
- Free yourself from the treadmill.Playlist ready, sneakers laced and world off – an outdoor run can be exhilarating. A mix of different landscapes, hills, and scenery to run past can be the perfect distraction. Map out a few different neighborhood loops and go!
- Understand the benefits of running. It will be much easier to adopt a healthy relationship with running when you understand the benefits. Running makes you happy by releasing endorphins. You sweat out toxins harming your body. Blood pumps through your body & brain keeping you alert and focused throughout the day. And, it even helps build that “jojo booty” and leg muscles. These are just a few of the benefits – keep researching its fun learning about running!
I do absolutely love running, and I hope you learn to love running too if you don’t already do! We all have an off day, and don’t love running on a particular day. But don’t skip a sweat, any workout is a great workout. Try a spinning class or barre class to mix up your routine. Keep your mind alert and focused by fueling it with new healthy activities.
Why do you love running? Leave me a comment below.